Project success takes more than just understanding what is “written” in your contract; it’s about leveraging key requirements from start to finish!
Many projects run into cost overruns, schedule delays, quality and performance issues. Thus, Project Owners are looking for solutions!
Construction Management is a great solution if done well! Construction Management is about building a collaborative team from the outset of the project. The team is comprised of the Project Owner, Consultant and Contractors to address the key areas of functional requirements, time, cost, quality, and constructability.
Whether you are the Project Owner, Consultant, General Contractor or Subcontractor, you need to understand your Construction Management roles and responsibilities throughout all project phases: predesign, design, project delivery and post construction. You also need to be well versed in the Construction Management project drivers and concepts in order to fulfil your contractual responsibilities and achieve success. A well-orchestrated Construction Management project drives success for all partners.
What will you learn?
In this session, from a team of industry partners’ perspectives, you will:
- Gain an understanding of the Construction Management process
- Recognize when to use Construction Management as a Delivery Method
- Learn the roles of each partner for collaborative success
- Determine when and how to procure Construction Management services
- Identify tools and techniques to optimize Construction Management performance
- Grasp the nuances of the different forms of Construction Management contracts – CCDC 5A|5B (industry standard contracts)
- Understand the duties assigned and compensation for Preconstruction, Construction and Post-Construction in the CCDC 5A | 5B
- Practice the key elements to focus on for project success:
- Engage the design assist process
- Align budgets to estimates
- Use design control to promote cost control
- Apply the learned knowledge to establish the Construction Manager’s compensation
- Discuss the pros and cons for conversion to consolidated pricing
- Acquire critical insights into the challenges with the Construction Management Delivery Method
Who should attend:
This course was designed by an inter-disciplinary ICI team with the intention of fostering dialogue and understanding between stakeholders across the ICI sector. We recommend this course for mid-management personnel from the following roles/disciplines who are familiar with standard contract clauses:
- General Contractors and Subcontractors: Construction Company Owners/Managers, Project Managers, Commercial Managers, Business Development Managers
- Project Owners, Third Party Project Managers (For the Project Owner), and P3 Developers
- Architects and Engineers
- Allied Professionals including: Bonding and Insurance specialists
- Live, Online, Instructor-led training, with a maximum class size of 30 students.
- This course is facilitated on the Zoom platform. Access information from the instructor will be provided to you in advance of the orientation and training.
- Orientation Session (30 minutes)
- Three (3) morning sessions (4 hours each) over 3 days
- Attendance and participation in all three course sessions is mandatory for course completion. *Please note that If a student misses a class session, we are unable to transfer registration or provide a partial refund of the registration fees.
Course Requirements (Technology & Participation)
This course requires full face-to-face interaction and participation from both the instructor and students. In order to attend, you must make sure you have the following:
- Computer or laptop with webcam (webcams are mandatory): This course will involve 100% on-screen interaction with your instructor and classmates, reading/viewing on-screen content like slides or videos, and interacting via typing with questions or responses. For this reason, you must have a webcam and use a full computer/laptop, and we do not permit students to attend using a tablet or cell phone.
- A quiet space with minimal distractions:Please plan to be fully engaged in the class, and clear your work schedule just as you would for attendance in an in-class program.
- Debbie Hicks, BSc| DSH Consulting - Course Facilitator
- Dean C. Slater, P. Eng., GSC
- Bill Chomik, AAA, SAA, OAA, AIBC, FRAIC, RCA | Kasian, Senior Principal, Vice President Institutional
- Mark Scharf, BA, MHA
- Hugh Loughborough, P. Eng., GSC
- Rick Boates, AScT., GSC, LEEDAP, Lean Green Belt President, Unitech Construction Management
This course is delivered in partnership with local construction associations across western Canada and Ontario. You will be participating with a cohort of industry peers from throughout these regions.