This course has something for everyone – whether you have years of experience or are new to the industry. Don't be misled by the '101' - over 30% of our course attendees have 10+ years of industry experience! Perfect for procurement professionals and buyers, developing leaders, as well as operations and administrative staff. This course is the industry knowledge boot camp that will support your team's success.
Created by the industry and for the industry, this course was developed by the Canadian Construction Association (CCA) to give participants an opportunity to see how different pieces in the construction industry fit together. You’ll get valuable insight into the various industry stakeholders and their roles/responsibilities, construction documents and contracts, risk management, construction law, bidding and tendering, and more!
What Will You Learn?
Course material covers 9 modules and 166 topics including:
- Project Management
- Project Delivery Methods
- Project Start Up to Close Out
- Accounting & Admin
- Recording Progress
- Contract Law
- Importance of Contract Time
- Recording the Project
- Changes to the Contract
- Breach of Contract
- Builders Lien Act
- Construction Documents
- Common Features of Construction Contracts
- Typical Contract (CCDC 2)
- Format of Specifications
- Format of Drawings
- Invitation to Tender & Bid Documents
- Bidding & Receiving Bids
- Estimating Process
- Best Practices
- Calling for Bids
- Instructions to Bidders
- Bid Evaluation & Contract Award
- Post-Tender Negotiations
- Risk Management
- Property & Liability Risks
- Wrap-Up Policies
- Why Contractors Fail
This course will have four short homework assignments that should take no more than 30 minutes each to complete. Your course instructor will go over your homework and provide instructions during your orientation session.
- This course is worth 4 gold seal credits and is compatible with the "Construction 101" requirement for foremans.
- This course is worth 16 Informal Continuing Professional Development (CPD) credits as approved by BC Housing.
Due to the fast-paced nature of this course and density of the content, we recommend that students have a minimum of 6 months experience in a construction industry role before attending. Those with less experience are welcome to attend, however, it may be hard to absorb and appreciate the material without this prior experience for context.
Course fee includes over $200 of hard-copy student materials directly to students, including:
- Construction 101 Student Manual with detailed material developed exclusively for the construction industry by the CCA
- Custom bonus manual containing:
- Full example copies of selected CCA/CCDC contracts:
- Stipulated Price Subcontract
- CCDC 2 (2020): Stipulated Price Contract
- CCDC 5A: Construction Management Contract – for Services
- CCDC 5B: Construction Management Contract – for Services and Construction
- Builders Lien Act Guide
Materials can be picked up at the NRCA office or can be shipped for a flat fee of $50. Please email our team if you have additional questions or require special shipping arrangements.
Live, Online, Instructor-led training, with a maximum class size of 16 students.
- This is a highly interactive course facilitated by the instructor on the Zoom platform.
- You will be expected to have your webcam on during the whole class and participate in break-out rooms, small-group discussions, and other activities with your instructor and classmates during the course.
- Zoom access information will be provided to you in advance of the training by your instructor
- Full attendance and participation in all four sessions is mandatory for course completion. If a student misses a class session, we are unable to transfer registration or provide a partial refund of the registration fees.
*Construction 101 is delivered in partnership between your local construction associations on Vancouver Island (VICA), Lower Mainland (VRCA) & Northern BC (NRCA) and you’ll be participating in a cohort with industry peers from across these regions.
Course Requirements (Technology & Participation)
This course requires full face-to-face interaction and participation from both the instructor and students. In order to attend, you’ll must make sure you have the following:
- Computer or laptop with webcam (webcams are mandatory): This course will involve 100% on-screen interaction with your instructor and classmates, reading/viewing on-screen content like slides or videos, and interacting via typing with questions or responses. For this reason, you must have a webcam and use a full computer/laptop, and we do not permit students to attend using a tablet or cell phone.
- A quiet space with minimal distractions: Please plan to be fully engaged in the class, and clear your work schedule just as you would for attendance in an in-class program.
Cancelation Policy - IMPORTANT
- Registration cancellation request/notification received:
- Three (3) weeks before the course start date: Full Refund of Registration Fee
- Less than three (3) weeks before the course start date: No refunds. No transfers of registration fee to a future course date.
- For a complete document on the NRCA Education Policies, click here.
- Substitution of another member of your company/team is permitted up to the course start date for no additional fee.
- Unless otherwise stated, every person able to see, hear, and observe the virtual course sessions must be a paid participant. Non-compliance of this requirement will result in removal from the course. Refunds will not be issued to students who are removed from the course for non-compliance of this requirement.
- If the NRCA has to postpone or cancel courses due to insufficient enrolment, NRCA will refund the registration fee or, if possible, the attendee may choose to move to an identical session in the future.
Please Note: Construction 101 delivered virtually is subject to a unique cancellation and refund policy due to the limited seats and extensive coordination required to provide students with hard-copy materials. We appreciate your understandings