Participants will improve their skills in leadership, management and supervision of staff. Participants will learn skills to enhance their ability to build a collaborative team culture with their staff and on job sites.
The course is designed for construction owners, managers, estimators, and supervisors.
By the end of the course, you will be able to:
- Understand the differences between leadership, management and supervision
- Identify different leadership styles and approaches
- Apply different leadership styles to deal with various situations
- Be familiar with various motivational theories – Mazlow, Herzberg, MARS
- Understand how to enhance individual and group performance and engagement
- Understand different personality styles and how to communicate appropriately
- Effectively manage time
- Understand stress and how to manage it at work
- Have knowledge of substance abuse, recognition and prevention
- Conduct a successful toolbox talk
- Appropriately discipline and/or terminate staff
- Apply various negotiating skills
- Deal with difficult people, conflict and confrontation
- Use collaborative decision making skills
- Understand a systems approach to management of construction companies
Course Format & Location Information
Live, Online, Instructor-led training, with a maximum class size of 20 students.
This course is facilitated by the instructor on the Zoom platform. Access information from the instructor will be provided to you in advance of the training.
Attendance in all four sessions is mandatory for course completion. *Please note that If a student misses a class session, we are unable to transfer registration or provide a partial refund of the registration fees.
Optional Assignment (for additional Gold Seal credit):
An optional assignment will be available to complete after the in-class course for students seeking additional Gold Seal credits. This online component is administrated by the instructor and will be provided and explained to students by the instructor in-class. It will be based on the in-class material and may include some research, reading, and answering questions (7-8 hours) that will be marked by the instructor.
Course Requirements (Technology & Participation)
This course requires full face-to-face interaction and participation from both the instructor and students. In order to attend, you must make sure you have the following:
Computer or laptop with webcam (webcams are mandatory): This course will involve 100% on-screen interaction with your instructor and classmates, reading/viewing on-screen content like slides or videos, and interacting via typing with questions or responses. For this reason, you must have a webcam and use a full computer/laptop, and we do not permit students to attend using a tablet or cell phone.
A quiet space with minimal distractions: Please plan to be fully engaged in the class, and clear your work schedule just as you would for attendance in an in-class program.
This course is offered in partnership with construction associations across Canada and you'll be participating with a cohort with peers from throughout the country.
Gold Seal Credits
2 Gold Seal credits awarded for attendance only; 5 credits awarded for both attendance and acceptable completion of additional assignment.
Printable, digital, course certificate will be issued to students via email 4-6 weeks after successful course completion.
Course Instructor Information
Tim Williams, MBA, B.Econ., CPA, GSC | President, BGC Partners Inc.